Philippines targets an 80% reduction in HFCs by 2045

~w2021-12-21

Baseline consumption levels to be frozen from 2024

 

The Philippines’ Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) has issued a chemical control order (CCO) for hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), committing to an 80% reduction in importation by 2045.

CCOs in the Philippines either restrict, ban or gradually phase out substances. They are issued for chemicals that pose an unreasonable risk to public health and the environment.

Published on 13 October, the CCO (DAO No. 2021-31) sets out the following HFC phase-out schedule:

2024 – freeze baseline consumption at the average annual levels from 2020-22 + 65% of HCFC baseline production/consumption – in accordance with Kigali Amendment (see box);

2029 – reduce baseline consumption by 10%;

2035 – reduce baseline consumption by 30%;

2040 – reduce baseline consumption by 50%; and

2045 – reduce to 80% of baseline, importation of the remaining 20% permitted for the servicing sector.

The DENR CCO stipulates: 

reducing the risk of HFC exposures to human health and the environment; 

increasing awareness on their toxicity, as well as the availability of technically superior and safer alternatives; and

ensuring the proper implementation of the existing framework and introducing appropriate prevention-based programmes to mitigate, reduce and eliminate their risks.

The Order covers all 18 HFCs included in Annex F of the UN’s Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer.

The Philippines does not produce or export them. The Environmental Management Bureau (EMB) will establish an import quota allocation system in 2024. Only companies that imported HFCs from 2020-22 will be granted quota allocations and permitted to apply for a certificate of registration (COR) and pre-shipment importation clearance (PSIC).

HFC importers, dealers, resellers, retailers and service providers will be required to register with the EMB. 

Read More

 

Chemical Watch, 9 December 2021
; https://chemicalwatch.com/387409/philippines-targets-an-80-reduction-in-hfcs-by-2045