The Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals Legislation Amendment (Streamlining Regulation) Bill 2018 was introduced by the Minister for Agriculture and Water Resources to Parliament on 18 October 2018. The Bill includes a number of measures, including allowing prescribed approvals and registrations and improving data incentives for applicants. Several changes were made to the Bill following the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources (DAWR) public consultation, including:
- omitting the proposal for provisional registration;
- simplifying the proposed legislation for accrediting persons and removing the aggravated offence for contravening conditions of accreditation;
- aligning voluntary recalls more closely with Australian Consumer Law;
- providing for internal review of an APVMA decision that is substituted for a computer-based decision; and
- simplifying the provisions for extending data protection periods.
Further detail is provided on the Australian Parliament House website.
This Bill is the second of two that were introduced. The first Bill, Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals Legislation Amendment (Operational Efficiency) Bill 2017 is making its way through Parliament after being introduced on 25 October 2017.
APVMA Regulatory Update, 15 November 2018 ; http://www.apvma.gov.au