On July 01, 2021, the U.S. Department of Agriculture voted to strengthen the enforcement of the “Made in USA standard”, in view of the Federal Trade Commission’s (FTC).
Following key points were highlighted:
● The scope is to enhance the ability to enforce the Made in USA standard for American consumers.
● The document is applicable for labelling of products regulated by FSIS
● American consumers depend upon accurate, transparent labels to obtain important information about the food they consume.
● Focus on American farmers and ranchers depend upon the same labels to convey information about their products that consumers value and demand.
● Various comments submitted to USDA and the FTC regarding meat labelling.
● The current “Product of USA” label on meat products may no longer effectively serve a purpose, to the detriment of consumers, producers, and fair and competitive markets.
● To ensure labelling initiative is implemented in a way that fulfils a commitment to working cooperatively with trade partners and meet international trade obligations.
Selerant, 5 July 2021