Skin contact or exposure to sensitizers often occurs as a consequence of occupational exposures (e.g. poison ivy in forestry), wearing jewelry (e.g. nickel), or use of cosmetics (e.g. fragrances). However, many of the known skin sensitizers or their chemical variants are also consumed orally through foods or other sources. Since oral exposure to antigenic substances can lead to tolerance, consumption of sensitizers may impact the development and potency of skin sensitization, especially if the sensitizer is consumed early in life, prior to the first skin contact. To address this issue, we have reviewed human clinical and epidemiological literature relevant to this subject and evaluated whether early oral exposures to relevant sensitizers, or their chemical variants, are associated with reduced prevalence of skin sensitization to three main allergic sensitizers – nickel, urushiols of poison ivy, and sesquiterpene lactones of chrysanthemum and other plants.
Authors: An N, Pourzal S, Luccioli, Vukmanovi? S