Occupational health in painters

During the present study, the possible effects of chemicals that the painters are exposed were surveyed. One hundred and three painters were interviewed with the standard predesigned questionnaire regarding occupational diseases in which 65 had skin related problems, 30 had respiratory problems. Out of 103 painters, 31 had volunteered to undergo patch test in order to diagnose any sort of allergy and 8 painters had volunteered to undergo blood tests. Age, sex matched with 8 control healthy individuals to assess their liver and kidney functions. Analysis of patch test revealed 84% painters had contact dermatitis and the remaining 16% were found to be suffering from skin irritation. There was a rise in the level of serum glutamic pyruvate transaminase (ALT), serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase (AST) and serum creatinine (SC) in the painters as compared to the control subjects. However serum alkaline phosphatase (ALP) showed insignificant ‘t’ test.

Authors: Kumari, Anupma; Roy, Kakoli Ghose; Nath, Supriya; Gupta, Nisha; Pallavi, Puja; Singh, Shreya; Kumari, Sweta; Yasmin, Shahla; Rastogi, Nidhi ;Full Source: Journal of Ecophysiology & Occupational Health 2010, 10(3 & 4), 129-133 (Eng) ;