Profile of Dermatological Disorders Among Workers Involved in Fruit Growing Industry of Kashmir Valley in North India

2022-05-05

Introduction: Skin disorders represent a major proportion of occupational disorders. Dermatoses are becoming a source of concern in various population groups. In Kashmir valley, a large number of people are associated directly or indirectly with horticulture. Fruit cultivation is the main occupation of around 33 lakh people in the Union Territory.

Aim: To study the profile of dermatological disorders in workers involved in fruit growing industry of Kashmir valley.

Materials and methods: This study was a cross-sectional observational study, carried out over a period of 2 years, in which 701 workers of fruit growing industry of Kashmir valley were screened.

Results: 276 (39.37%) of these workers were found to have skin lesions while the rest, that is, 425 (60.63%) were not found to have any dermatoses. Out of the total dermatological lesions observed, occupational dermatoses contributed to 94 cases (34.05%), while non-occupational dermatoses accounted for 182 cases (65.94%). Among the occupational dermatoses, friction-related disorders (callosities and cuts) were predominant (15.9%) followed by allergic (12%) and irritant contact dermatitis (6.2%). Out of the non-occupational dermatoses group, the major portion was comprised by polymorphic light eruption (6.2%) in non-infectious type while in infectious type, onychomycoses predominated (3.3%).

Conclusion: Dermatological conditions form a major group of occupational dermatoses among workers involved in fruit cultivation.

Authors: Yaqzata Bashir, Iffat Hassan, Sumaya Zeerak, Manzoor Ahmad Bhat, Shazia Jeelani, Yasmeen Jabeen Bhat, Shugufta P Rather, Shahnawaz Bashir
; Full Source: Indian dermatology online journal 2022 May 5;13(3):334-339. doi: 10.4103/idoj.idoj_597_21.